Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sample recipe from Small dishes…: Sweetbreads

It is slaughter season in Iceland, but while I know I can get all the liver, hearts, kidneys and tripe I want, I don’t remember ever seeing sweetbreads in an Icelandic meat counter. I would like to try them, though, so even if I don’t choose this as the recipe of the week, I think I will see if I can have them specially ordered for me.

150 g sweetbreads (it doesn’t say from what animal, but veal is probably what the original authors had in mind)
1 tbs flour
Salt and pepper
1/2 to 1 tbs butter
50 g fresh mushrooms
1/4 can of asparagus
100 ml Hollandaise-sauce

Wash and trim the sweetbread(s). Slice and roll in a mixture of flour and salt/pepper. Set aside for a while to let the slices dry a bit.

Wash and trim the mushrooms. Melt part of the butter in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms at low temperature. Warm the asparagus according to instructions on the can (?). Make the sauce according to instructions on the packet (if I were to make this, I think I would like to try my hand at making the sauce from scratch).

Fry the sweetbread slices at medium temperature until well browned.

Arrange on a plate with the mushrooms, asparagus and some poached potatoes sprinkled with parsley and serve the sauce on the side.

No comments: